Asylum Seekers & New Customer Accounts at Central Maine Power CMP: 800-750-4000
To set up an account, you’ll need:
- Your date of birth, and
- The “A” number on the documents you received when you entered the U.S. – OR – your passport number
- You are not required to pay a security deposit to open a new customer account.
- You are not required to provide two forms of photo I.D
- General Assistance is considered a form of income like any other voucher program for asylum seekers (like TANF, SSI, SSDI, etc.) because immigration and federal laws prohibit working for a period of time.
- You may need to explain that you are an asylum seeker.
Spectrum Internet Assist and is available only for adults who can show proof of their child receiving free school meals, or adults over 65 who can show proof of receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or SS Disability Income (SSDI).
There is no activation fee nor any contracts to sign. Billing begins 3-4 weeks after installation of the Spectrum modem that is provided at no cost and which can be self installed if the apartment is already wired for cable access. A prepayment of $14.99 is required for the first month’s service.
To get FREE television reception (i.e., no need to pay for cable), once you have a digital-ready TV (it’d be hard to find one that isn’t), all you need to do is get a digital antenna, such as this one from Amazon ($9.99). You simply hook it up to the coaxial input and use the TV’s menu to do a “channel search” and Bob’s your uncle. There are at least a dozen channels available, including ABC, NBC and CBS.