How Can We Help?
- Portland Community Health Center
- Portland Public Schools
- Williston-Immanuel Church can sometimes provide up to $50 toward an eye exam through their Community Assistance Fund.
- Casco Bay Eye Care – each optometrist has a quota, so Portland Free Clinic rotates their referral calls across each of these branch offices.
- Vision for Portland Adult Ed students – once per year Portland Adult Education (PAE), Eyecare Medical Group, Maine Lions Club and Friends of Portland Adult Education provided free vision screenings and eyeglasses to PAE students.
- The financial issue comes to a head when glasses are necessary, the Lions Clubs often have resources to help, including used eyeglasses which might contain a close enough set of lenses to be helpful.
- DHHS social workers may have vision rehabilitation resources, especially if treatable eye problems prevent an individual’s employment.
- On a limited basis, people with medical eye disorders and no health insurance or funds can be seen at Maine Eye Center.